Every summer at ADMERICA, local Ad 2 chapter pitch to host Mid-Year Retreat in their home city. At ADMERICA 2017, Ad 2 Minnesota pitched and won by a vote of their peers.
This November 3-5, Ad 2 chapters from all over the U.S. will be flying into Minneapolis for a free conference put on by Ad 2.
The date of the conference changes every year, but it is always held on a Saturday in late October or early/mid-November. The typical agenda for Mid-Year Retreat is:
- Friday: Welcome Happy Hour (7-9 pm)
- Saturday: All Day Conference (9am – 4:30 pm) and Optional Ad 2 Dinner (7:30-9pm)
- Sunday: Optional Ad 2 Brunch (10:30 am – 1pm)
The cost is 100% free for clubs to attend the conference. Ad 2 covers conference cost, breakfast, and lunch during the conference.
Clubs attending will have to cover transportation to the event, hotel stay (if needed), and meals on Friday, dinner on Saturday, and the optional brunch on Sunday.
To help with costs, Ad 2 awards several Travel Stipends in September. To be awarded a travel stipend, you must apply. This year’s Travel Stipend Application is available here. Recipients are notified by mid-September.
Details for the 2017 Mid-Year Retreat are as follows:
- Date: November 3-5, 2017
- Dress: Business casual; you can wear jeans, but please represent your club properly. Group photos will be taken.
- Cost: Free to Ad 2 Members; Ad 2 covers conference, breakfast, and lunch Saturday.
- Attendees: Any Ad 2 member or potential club member; Highly recommend President, Vice President, and potential club leaders.
- Location: Minneapolis, MN at the Radisson RED Hotel and Periscope
- Arrive: Friday evening; the Welcome Happy Hour will be from 7-10pm.
- Airport: Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MPS)
- Transportation: The Light Rail is the fasted and cheapest way to get from the airport to the hotel ($2.25 per person maximum). You take the Blue Line to U.S. Bank Stadium and the hotel is a short walk away.
- Stay: Radisson RED Hotel, 609 3rd St. South Minneapolis, MN 55415
- Hotel Details: Room rates are $139 a night + tax for a 2 Queen room; Rooms include Free Wi-Fi
- Welcome Happy Hour: 7-9pm at the Radisson RED OUIBar
- Conference: Periscope 921 S Washington Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- Dinner: $40 per person until 10/27; Price increases after that date. Payments may be made via Venmo to Allison Farris.
- Depart: Sunday anytime, but if you’d like to join the Sunday Brunch (around 10:30am), plan to fly out early afternoon.
- Brunch: TBD; roughly $25 per person or less (Details and registration link will be sent out in early October).
FAQs about Ad 2 Mid-Year Retreat:
- Who should attend? Any Ad 2 member or potential member/club.
- How much should we budget? The conference is free, but clubs need to be able to cover transportation cost, hotel, and food. Breakfast and lunch will be provided during the day of the conference.
- What happens at the conference? We will have several panels, small group sessions, and breakout topics to discuss how to better your club and your leadership skills.
- Which board members should attend? We recommend Presidents, Vice Presidents and potential future leaders of your club.
- What if we cannot afford to bring all of these people? Aim to bring at least one representative of your club. A Vice President or incoming Presidential candidate is a good choice. Additionally, Ad 2 offers Travel Stipends to help with the cost.
- What is a Travel Stipend and how do I get one? Travel Stipends are awarded to clubs who apply. Applications typically go out in September. You must submit an expense report of travel expenses and Ad 2 will mail you a check for the amount awarded as long as your expense report is equal to or exceeds that amount.
- How much is the Travel Stipend worth? Awarded amounts range on the clubs’ needs. Typically they range from $150-300 in amount. Ad 2 tries to award around 4-6 applications each Mid-Year.
- How to Host Mid-Year Retreat? The applications go out in Q1 of every year. Applicants must present their case at ADMERICA! during the summer where Ad 2 members will vote on the winning city.
- How much is it to host Mid-Year Retreat? $0. Ad 2 covers all cost. We just need host cities to help secure locations for the conference, hotel, food, and details about transportation.
If you have more questions about hosting or attending Ad 2 Mid-Year Retreat, please contact the Vice Chair: ViceChair@Ad2.Org.